Namasté Solar was founded in 2005 to provide residential and commercial solar services. The company chose to restructure as a worker cooperative in 2011. Prior to the transition, the company operated on a one-person-one-vote basis for most operational decisions, but shareholder votes were made on a one-share-one-vote basis. The cooperative model more closely matched the democratic ideals and also enabled the company to accept external investors without sacrificing internal control.
- Namasté Solar – Employee-Owned Cooperative
- Project Equity – Namaste Solar
- Center for Social Inclusion – Namasté Solar: A Profile In Cooperative Ownership
- Entrepreneur – This Company Asked Its Employees for Cash and Everybody Won
- Inc – Where the CEO Is Just Another Guy With a Vote
- Namaste Solar – How Being a Cooperative Helps our Business (video)
- Democracy Collaborative – Converting businesses to worker cooperatives: real world lessons learned (video)