South Mountain Company is a worker owned architecture, building, and energy firm located on Martha’s Vineyard. South Mountain was founded in 1975 by John Abrams and converted to a worker owned cooperative in 1986. Since its founding, South Mountain has grown substantially in size, service offerings, and revenue. The complexity of the company’s governance and management structures has also evolved considerably over the last three decades. With a total of 33 employees, including 21 worker owners, and $9.5 million in annual sales, South Mountain has grown into a critical member of the Martha’s Vineyard community and a shining example within the worker cooperative sector.
- Vineyard Gazette – Same Model, New CEO; South Mountain Looks to the Future (2020)
- South Mountain – Employee Ownership at South Mountain Company (2017)
- South Mountain – The SMC Equity Journey (2015)
- DAWI – Successful Cooperative Ownership Transitions (South Mountain excerpt) (2014)
- The Guardian – South Mountain: loving your company and letting it go (2014)
- CNN Money – Where workers make their own rules (2009)
- Abrams – Companies We Keep: Employee Ownership and the Business of Community and Place (book) (2005)