In January 2014, 11 worker-owners took over the operations of A Yard and A Half Landscaping, an organic landscaping company based in Waltham, Massachusetts. The company was founded in 1988 by Eileen Michaels. This cooperative ownership transition was a major milestone for the company. It represented the fulfillment of a vision that had been growing for five years, and that was carried out by owner and staff over the course of 12 months of sustained efforts. The conversion has equipped the company to carry on the vision of its founder and build the wealth of the employees for years to come, while rewarding Eileen’s entrepreneurship and providing for her retirement.
- DAWI et al – Successful Cooperative Ownership Transitions – Yard and a Half Landscaping
- Project Equity – Financing Case Study: A Yard & A Half Landscaping
- A Yard and a Half – About Us
- A Yard and a Half – Considering Cooperatives
- A Yard and a Half – Orientation for Prospective Coop Members
- More than Money Podcast – From Workers to Owners (audio)
- Agaric – An evening of cooperatives and a half
- Shelterforce – The Next Boom for Worker Co-ops?